Summer is around the corner, and that means it’s mosquito-breeding time. With the wet spring we’ve had, there are more spots for female mosquitoes to lay their eggs. Protect your family and friends this summer from two mosquito-borne diseases: Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus (Triple E) and West Nile Virus (WNV).
The Bad News First: Two Nasty Viruses
In southern New Hampshire and northern Massachusetts, there have already been documented cases of Triple E and WNV. Both diseases are arboviruses and both conditions can be deadly.
From 2007 to 2016, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) documented 11 confirmed Triple E cases in MA and five confirmed Triple E cases in NH. Triple E symptoms include
In severe cases, infected people have significant neurological damage, or they die from complications of Triple E. In most cases, people don’t know that they have the disease.
Folks infected with the WNV have these flu-like symptoms:
- Muscle aches
- In rare cases, encephalitis and meningitis.
Cleaning Up Mosquito Hot Spots
So you need to be proactive in preventing infected mosquitoes on your property. Here are some basic tips to get rid of mosquito breeding grounds:
- Empty kiddy pools after using them
- Empty flower pots and other landscape features that hold standing water
- Pick up all plastic bottles and caps
- Get rid of tires
- Clean out tarmacs and other outdoor covers
- Puncture your tire swing so water doesn’t pool in it
- If you have livestock, you need to empty and clean out their watering bowls and buckets
- If you have a water trough, drain it once a week and refill.
- Apply lemon-eucalyptus, DEET, neem oil or permethrin to your clothes
- Wear long sleeves and pants
- Stay inside during heavy mosquito activity which is dawn and dusk
- Hire your local lawn care company to apply concentrated cedar oil around your property.
How Lawnmark Plus Protects Your Property
At Lawnmark Plus, we use concentrated cedar oil to keep mosquitoes off of your property.
We use an 85% concentrated cedar oil formula that’s perfectly safe to use around your family, friends and pets. Here are four other benefits of using cedar oil as a mosquito deterrent:
- It kills mosquitoes in all life stages: Eggs, larvae and nymph
- It’s safe for all aquatic life, birds and mammals
- It won’t kill honeybees or other pollinators
- It has a pleasant aroma, not a harsh, chemical scent.
If you’re ready to protect your loved ones this summer from disease-carrying mosquitoes, call us today at 603-262-1215 or fill out our contact form.
Our Mosquito Control Services are ONLY AVAILABLE IN MASSACHUSETTS and NOT New Hampshire.
CDC.gov, “Eastern Equine Encephalitis.”
Ibid, “Fight the Bite!” pdf.
The Laconia Daily Sun, “West Nile Virus Found in NH Mosquitoes.”